Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Deluxe Caramel Apples

Sorry it's been so long! This post probably would have been handy around Halloween, but I made the apples on Halloween and have just gotten around to getting the pics uploaded. Anyway - apples are still in season, right?

Caramel apples are pretty simple. Just follow the directions on the package of caramels and you're set. (For 5 apples, melt the bag of caramels with 2 Tbls of water, dip apples, place on waxed paper and place in fridge to cool and harden.)


Okay - totally random thought, but it's always bugged me that fridge has a "d" in it while refrigerator does not.

Anyway, back to the apples. Well, I got the caramel on the apples and let them cool. Was that enough for me? Of course not. I melted down about a pound of chocolate and dipped the cooled apples in the chocolate, again setting them on waxed paper and letting the chocolate harden.


And, since I've got some weird wiring in my skull, I decided to melt some white chocolate to drizzle on top.

Then I thought that, since it was Halloween and all, I would make some spooky designs on a few. Thus the spider webs.

If you like nuts and that type of stuff, you can roll the still-wet chocolate apple in nuts, coconut, etc. Try dipping the whole apple in white chocolate and rolling it in a cinnamon and sugar mix or graham cracker crumbs (its tastes like an apple pie).

2 comments:

  1. Okay, when I saw the first pic of the plain caramel apples I thought "No way did Kellie just do plain caramel!" Glad to see I was right. :) Those things look heavenly!
    I often have daydreams about the night you guys were over and split your gourmet caramel apples from Rocky Mountain Choc. Factory with us.... mmmmmmm....... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kellie, if I told you I was having a day from hell, would you make me a treat?

    ReplyDelete