Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Oreo Truffles. Need I say more?

I got this recipe somewhere on line (can't remember where exactly...) and was suprised at how quick and easy it is. Oh, and delicious. Matt likes to call these "a little peice of Heaven". :)

So - Ingredients:

1 bag of Oreos (I used Double Stuff, cause that's what I like.)
1 brick of cream cheese, softened (Philadelphia is the only way to go...)
1 pound white baking chocolate (as always, I used the vanilla Almond Bark)
Ready for the easy directions?

1. Finely crush the oreos. I put the oreos into a large ziplock bag and used a malet, my hands, anything I could find, really. Dump them into a bowl.

2. Mix in the softened cream cheese. I used a pastry mixer thingy (no idea what they're really called) and it worked very well.

3. Roll the mixture into 1 inch balls.
4. Dip the balls in the melted chocolate. Set on wax paper and refrigerate for 1 hr.
This makes about 50 truffles...enough to last 3, maybe 4 days.
Now, here's my input:

The mixture was quite soft after being worked, so I put it in the fridge for a while before rolling it out into the balls. After that, they were still quite soft and there was no way I was going to be able to dip those without leaving half of it in the chocolate, so I put a dollop of chocolate down on the waxed paper, placed the balls on the dollops, then spooned the melted chocolate on top.
The dollops of chocolate and Matt helping me put the rolled mixture on top.

These are so not up to my "pretty" standards, but it was late and I was tired, so you get what you get. :)


Now, if I'd had time I would have rolled the balls out, then refigerated them for an hour or so til they were firm enough to dip. Next time, maybe.
Here's a variation you might want to try - use mint oreos and dip them in milk chocolate. Mmmmmmm.......
Good luck and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. soooo good. Add them to your Christmas goodie list. And I like the mint oreo idea. Try it and let me taste! You know me - I don't do things that require effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh - I like the mint idea too. That's one of my fav combo's - mint and chocolate. Num, Num, Num! (as my boys would say!)

    ReplyDelete