Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sludge Cups



This idea came from a Halloween book that I have and it looked fun and tastey so I thought I'd give it a try.

The sludge cups are really easy to make. You prepare one kind of Jello, following the directions on the box, and pour the Jello, dividing it evenly, into 6 - 6 oz cups. I had 10 oz cups available, so whatever you have works, but you want them to be clear. While the Jello is still liquid, the book tells you to put gummy worms, bugs or whatever other candies you might want in. Then you wait for that kind of Jello to set before repeating the process with a different kind of Jello.


The different colors are fun, and I kind-of mulched the top layer of Jello in the cup on the left to make it look more "scary", but what's not fun is eating the sludge cups.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure kids would get a kick out of these and not have any problems - kids'll eat anything. This is the problem I had with eating the cups:

Jello - Good.
Gummy Worms - Good.
Gummy Worms in Jello - Nasty Crap.

The gummy worms were magically transformed during this whole process. Sorry Beth - I hadn't tried one before I made you eat one. The gummies take on a strange taste and an even stranger texture. Gross.

So. My advice is if you want to make these (cause they really are fun...) do it without the gummies. Or, just plan on kids eating them and save yourself from having to eat the rest of the contents in your fridge in order to remove the nasty taste in your mouth.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Thanks for the warning! I wonder if a different kind of candy would work....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids won't eat it. :)

    They never have liked Jell-O. Weird, huh? I thought that with the worms in it, they'd eat up, but Ethan had one bite and said he didn't like it.

    Awesome idea for normal kids who will eat Jell-O though!

    ReplyDelete